Balcony thermal insulation
Many modern apartments are not big, but rather small. Therefore, to increase their living space apartment owners try to redesign their balconies and loggias, make separate rooms there or join them to living room or kitchen.
Balcony (loggia) thermal insulation from inside helps the owners get rid of humidity and droughts in the apartment.
Builders recommend to follow such rules when choosing a thermal insulation material for the balcony or loggia:
- it should be lightweight not to load the concrete slab (this recommendation is applied only to balconies insulation; material weight is not important when we insulate loggias);
- high strength of insulation material is a prerequisite for this type of work, temperature fluctuations should not make mineral wool useless.
Most often, balconies and loggias are insulated with mineral wool or foam, and one of the lining types is chosen as a facing material.
This material has a chaotic fibrous structure. Due to its composition it has many advantages:
- The low thermal conductivity;
- High strength, durability;
- Combustion resistance, stability in case of temperature fluctuations;
- Environmental safety, resistance to mold, fungus, insects and rodents;
- Water vapor permeability; walls that are insulated with mineral wool “breathe”.
Mineral wool is an inexpensive material. Its installation is simple: it is not difficult to insulate the balcony with your own hands. Moreover, this material is soundproof.
Ceiling and walls thermal insulation
All cracks are treated with foam sealant and sealed with tape. Squared beams (50 * 40 mm) are fixed every 0.5 m on walls and ceiling. Waterproofing of walls and ceilings can be made of thick plastic film, which is fixed with a stapler to the beams.
Mineral wool boards are installed first on the ceiling, and then on the walls. It is better to install the boards with higher density on the ceiling. Mineral wool is glued with special adhesive, which is diluted to the consistency of thick cream. It is put on board with wide strokes. The material is gently folded in the middle, then put in the cell of lathing, and pressed throughout the area. Mineral wool board should be slightly larger than the cell, because later it will shrink a little bit and the gaps may appear. When adhesive is dry, insulation boards are fastened with dowels.
Vapor barrier layer, which is made of thick plastic film, is installed on the top. Joints are sealed with a tape.